Carpenter Technology Corporation is a leading producer and distributor of premium specialty alloys, including titanium alloys, nickel and cobalt based superalloys, stainless steels, alloy steels and tool steels. Carpenter’s high-performance materials and advanced process solutions are an integral part of critical applications used within the aerospace, transportation, medical and energy markets, among other markets. Building on its history of innovation, Carpenter’s wrought and powder technology capabilities support a range of next-generation products and manufacturing techniques, including novel magnetic materials and additive manufacturing.
LEAN MANUFACTURING SPECIALIST
POSITION SUMMARY: To directly support our operations through the Lean journey by working with the Lean Transformation team and other key stakeholders. This position will provide support that focuses on the implementation and enhancement of the Carpenter Operating Model, including but not limited to: a standards rich environment, visual factory, daily management, problem solving supported by leaders, standard work, Gemba and continuous improvement thinking. Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of efficient manufacturing processes and workflows. This hands-on role will support the day-to-day efforts toward the achievement of the strategic plan objectives.
THE LEAN MANUFACTURING SPECIALIST WILL . . .
- Improve, organize, implement and maintain production process flow.
- Lead hands-on process improvements using a combination of Lean Manufacturing with a focus towards optimizing labor resources and systems, flow creation, 5S and waste reduction.
- Improve existing operations for increased quality, productivity, efficiency and cost savings.
- Facilitate value stream mapping.
- Investigate operational problems affecting production and reporting and recommending solutions.
- Provide manufacturing data i.e. production control charts, reliability, process capability, to improve the process and monitor and measure progress to target outcome.
- Organize and lead meetings with other team members to facilitate growth.
- Identify and deploy ways to reduce production inefficiencies - i.e: new processes, elimination of waste, machinery enhancements.
- Provide assistance on development and documentation of KPI’s and systems designed to sustain and drive continuous improvement using Carpenters Operating Model.
- Ability to travel 25% to other locations within a specified region.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE LEAN MANUFACTURING SPECIALIST
- BA/BS degree in Engineering, Project Management or related field required.
- Minimum of 4 years successful lean implementation experience with proven record of sustainable results.
- Prior knowledge /experience with the Toyota Production System (TPS) is preferred.
- Successful candidate will have prior knowledge and practical experience in a manufacturing/industrial setting with a strong focus in Lean Manufacturing operations.
- Job related experience with LEAN operating Model Deployment preferred.
- Proven ability to drive continuous improvement with identifying and eliminating waste using applicable tools and analysis.
- Proven coaching, facilitation and organizational skills with a track record of successful change management.
- Working knowledge of MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical, problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment with multiple deadlines.
- Ideal candidate will be proactive, creative and a hands-on change agent, have team building and rapid execution abilities, be self-motivated with the ability to “think on your feet’ with a ‘can do’ approach to work. Self-Starter who can creatively drive continuous improvement on their own initiative with as needed guidance.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation’s policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.