Carpenter Technology Corporation is a leading producer and distributor of premium specialty alloys, including titanium alloys, nickel and cobalt based superalloys, stainless steels, alloy steels and tool steels. Carpenter Technology’s high-performance materials and advanced process solutions are an integral part of critical applications used within the aerospace, transportation, medical and energy markets, among other markets. Building on its history of innovation, Carpenter Technology’s wrought and powder technology capabilities support a range of next-generation products and manufacturing techniques, including novel magnetic materials and additive manufacturing. Carpenter Technology’s Hartsville Manufacturing Operations (formerly Talley Metals) is a mini mill supplying a variety of sizes and specifications of high-quality round, square and hexagonal stainless- steel bars for distribution.
US Citizen OR Green Card Holders only
Location: McBee, South Carolina
The Metallurgist will . . .
- Provide a range of technical services to our internal and external customers supporting the attainment of Company and division goals.
- Demonstrate the ability to make disposition of referred, non-conforming and off-standard material, including but not limited to RMR’s and customer claims.
- Apply statistical methods to solve problems and design experiments.
- Build knowledge of the company processes and customers and ensure a safe workplace.
- Solve a range of straightforward problems, analyze possible solutions and assess each using standard procedures.
- Perform all other duties and projects as required.
- Learn the equipment and process, taking ownership of the material being produced.
- Working in a team environment, adding value on a daily basis.
Requirements for the Metallurgist
- Four-year college degree in Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field required and 1 - 3 years of metallurgical experience.
- Experience in a lean manufacturing environment with the ability to apply statistical methods, SPC, six-sigma, and BPI tools for decision making.
- Specialized knowledge of metallurgical principles, standards, methods, and practices and metallurgical / production equipment
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowePoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and relationship building skills. Customer service orientation, well organized with the ability to prioritize tasks and make appropriate decisions. Ability to recognize and communication technical risks.
- Ideal candidate will be goal and results oriented with high energy and be able to work in a fast-paced production environment with frequently changing priorities.
- Ability and willingness to access mill and manufacturing area, support team efforts and provide support and guidance to peers and manager in key projects and opportunities with minimal assistance.
- Awareness of newest and emerging technologies.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation’s policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.