Carpenter Technology Corporation is a leading producer and distributor of premium specialty alloys, including titanium alloys, nickel and cobalt based superalloys, stainless steels, alloy steels and tool steels. Carpenter Technology’s high-performance materials and advanced process solutions are an integral part of critical applications used within the aerospace, transportation, medical and energy markets, among other markets. Building on its history of innovation, Carpenter Technology’s wrought and powder technology capabilities support a range of next-generation products and manufacturing techniques, including novel magnetic materials and additive manufacturing. Carpenter Technology’s Hartsville Manufacturing Operations (formerly Talley Metals) is a mini mill supplying a variety of sizes and specifications of high-quality round, square and hexagonal stainless- steel bars for distribution.
Location: McBee, South Carolina
THE QUALITY SPECIALIST WILL . . .
- Proactively improve process and product Quality at Carpenter to increase First Time Through (FTT). Establish Critical to Quality measures (CTQ), Key Process Characteristics (KCC), Key Control Characteristics (KCC), control plans and FMEA.
- Increase customer satisfaction by reducing claims, remakes, scrap, and deviations from standard work.
- Establish framework for gathering and synthesizing data to effectively detect and solve quality issues to prevent recurrence using appropriate quality strategies, tools, and techniques. Stabilize processes and implement process controls (SPC) to establish and maintain process capability using statistical methods.
- Master inspection, measurement and sampling methods and lead efforts for method improvements. (MSA). Along with the Lead Auditor, maintain policies and procedures related to AS9100, AS9120, Nadcap, ISO9001 and other related standards company-wide. Provides training on quality systems. Maintain the company’s conformance to the standards and internal audit processes. Leads 3rd party and customer audits when required. Prepares documents for required management reviews. Review supplier audit findings to communicate their performance and discuss corrective measures, as necessary.
- Maintain a central Quality records database and ensures integrity of the data and data accessibility. Maintain customer required documents including PPAP’s, VAP’s, and Control Plans. Maintain systems and procedures for containment of non-conforming materials and products throughout the company.
- Assist in the completion of quality audits for Carpenter companies, customers, and third parties. Ensure that internal and customer corrective actions as well as customer claims are resolved in a timely fashion. Maintain supplier quality representative (SQR) requirements, as required by certain customers.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
REQUIRED FOR THE QUALITY SPECIALIST
- High school diploma required. Four-year college degree preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant quality experience, preferrable in a manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of MS Office including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Understanding of engineering principles, standards, methods and practices. Knowledge of disciplined problem-solving methods.
- Expert knowledge of quality system management. Expert knowledge of audit and corrective action processes. Expert knowledge of root cause analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, problem-solving skills and the ability to organize and prioritize tasks and make appropriate decisions.
- Ideal candidate will be self-disciplined, unbiased, open minded, honest, inquiring, analytical, resilient and professional with the ability to perform independent work on larger assignments with minimal coaching.
- Ideal candidate will be well organized and have the ability to prioritize tasks and make appropriate decisions.
- Willing to work in a fast-paced, ever changing work environment.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation’s policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.