At Globe Life, the primary purpose of the project manager role is to lead, oversee and ensure the successful delivery and management of single or multiple projects within scope, quality, time and cost constraints that may be clearly defined or may require dynamic change management to deliver business value.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Identify and schedule project deliverables, milestones, and required activities and tasks.
• Provide leadership and motivation to project team members throughout the project life cycle and confer with project staff to outline work plan.
• Act as a coach to junior project managers, executives and others who need assistance and advice regarding project management practices.
• Establish a work plan and staffing for project activities, iterations or phases, and arrange for recruitment or assignment of project personnel.
• Review project proposals or plans to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing projects, staffing requirements and allotment of available departmental resources to various project phases.
• Analyze project proposals to determine time frame, funding limitations and appropriate process for accomplishing projects.
• Review/approve work plan of external service provider or consultancy contracted to execute project.
• Implement project communication plan.
• Conduct project level risk assessment and mitigation.
• Monitor project activities, ensuring the currency, quality and integrity of the information, while providing consistency in content and "look and feel" across the enterprise.
• Ensure that project goals are accomplished and in line with business objectives.
• Assign duties, responsibilities and scope of authority to project personnel.
• Direct and coordinate activities of project personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within budget.
• Review/Create status reports prepared by project personnel, and modify schedules or plans as required.
• Follow established standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation.
• Continuously benchmark project management performance to identify improvements and achieve higher capability maturity in project and portfolio management.
• Distinctive blend of business, IT, financial and communication skills, because this is a highly visible position with substantial impact
• Knowledge of project management methodology and experience or familiarity with major, defined program management approaches (for example, PMI, Prince II or agile)
• Significant knowledge of project planning/scheduling tools (for example, Microsoft Project and Open Workbench), with a solid track record of practical application
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; expertise in setting and managing customer expectations
• Ability to work under a program leadership structure
• Ability to constructively resolve conflict
• Effective influencing and negotiating skills in an environment in which this role may not directly control resources
• Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence
• Ability to support a tactical resource plan by mapping future demand to forecast project completions in the project portfolio
• Bachelor's degree in business information systems (IS), computer science or related field, or equivalent-related IT experience. MBA in IS or other master's degree preferred.
• 7 - 10 years of Project Management experience
• PMP Certification with experience with Agile
• Experience with waterfall and agile methodologies